Tuesday 11 June 2013

J'adore Paris. J'adore ma mere!

Over the years of traveling, my mom would hear about an upcoming trip and exclaim "oh my gosh, I would love to go there!". She had instilled a love of exploring in both my brother and I at a young age with train trips through the Rocky Mountains, camping trips throughout the Interlake and even weekend getaways to the big city of Winnipeg. I had tried to convince her to join me a few times before, but this time it was Paris and she seemed just a little different.

She hummed and hawed for weeks, enviously asking how much work I would have to do and what I was going to see. I told her again and again to just come with me, but looking into her eyes as she flipped the pages of my Lonely Planet guide to Paris, I made the decision.

One ticket for the Momma, Winnipeg - Paris / London - Winnipeg, booked on points. Done.


Awaiting our first flight out of Winnipeg! The faces of two excited ladies on an adventure



Best decision I ever made.

Mom had never traveled overseas, and I had only been to London once the year before. We planned our arrival in Paris for 4 days before I had to start work and had one free evening together in London. All in all it was a 9 day trip for her, while I carried on to other work commitments for another few weeks.


Momsie, soaking up the beauty of the Louvre

As someone who travels solo for a living, and has a bit of a Type-A control-freak personality, this trip was the best thing that could have happened. I love how my mother reminds me of what is important, of how to be patient and live in the moment. Would I have chosen McDonalds for coffee on the Champs-Élysées? Gosh no, but I will always choose a hot tea on a cold afternoon and laughing with my mother. Remember what is important.

La famille c'est importante.


Still my mom's facebook photo, 4 months later.


No comments:

Post a Comment